Re: WCOP... and the "country" lawsuit

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Rob Landry wrote:

> I heard that D.L.W. were the initials of the girlfriend of the fellow (I
> forget his name) who bought the station from CRB.

The WDLW call letters always reminded me of a sex toy that is rumored to
be popular among women.  Maybe it was named after the owner's girlfriend's
toy.

> > As far as WCRB on 133e0, I remember when FM was mono, and the announcer
> > would say somehing like...."To listen to WCRB's programming in stereo, use
> > your FM radio on 102.7 for your left channel, and AM 1330 for your right
> > channel."
>
> That was WCRB's practice from 1954 until at least 1961, or so I'm told.

Indeed it was, until FM stereo was approved by the FCC.  I remember
hearing the news in a WCRB newscast, which also announced that WCRB would
soon begin FM multiplex stereo broadcasts.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/