Developing Talent

In a message dated 11/8/98 6:15:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, shel@adelphia.net
writes:

<< Good talent, in my opinion, is alive and well, cutting their teeth at small
stations.  There's no law stating that all top talent was born and raised in a
major market! >>

Very true, but it's becoming more and more prevalant for stations to nurture
their OWN talent, as opposed to always raiding the smaller markets.  High
profile stations are beginning to develop their talent starting at the
intern/promotions level.  There are more and more major market talents that
have never set foot in a smaller market.  This is being done by necessity,
since small market stations are turning to satellite and automated programming
and moving away from live talent.

One of the things we take for granted here in New England is that Boston,
Providence and Hartford usually will look to the smaller markets in the region
for talent as opposed to bringing in people from other parts of the country
who stay for a year or two, then move on.  From talking to other radio people
from other parts of the country, this is an unusual practice nowadays.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks