Re: 990/Providence (Re: Worst 50k's)

   All kidding aside, 990/Providence from the current site probably
was a good signal as a daytimer only (WLKW).  It still does the job
during the day to hit Providence, even 20 miles away. However, the
current site was obviously never designed to be a nighttime
"rim-shooter".  The 500 watt nighttime signal was not strong enough to
hit its' intended audience in Downtown Providence.  WALE obviously has
several problems, namely 990/Rochester, NY, Montreal, QC and
Philadelphia.  The nighttime signal and facility is pretty crappy. I
have heard from others that you can see the towers and yet barely hear
the station. I did receive a DX test on the 500 watt facility in 1990.
 It was still in the mud.  But, a second site for nighttime operation
(close to Providence) might do the trick.  However, it is costly and
probably hard to put together due to zoning ordinances and the fact
that not many people  want a new set of towers in their back yard.
     How far away is Greenville, RI from Downtown Providence ?  I do
recall during the WLKW days, the signal was strong during the hour
before sunset in Randolph, MA.  It was a clean sounding rig (1971),
whatever it was.  Then again, it was running high-fidelity beautiful
music from WLKW-FM.

- -Pete

- ---Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> At 11:51 PM 11/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
> >     I have heard that the 990 site is located atop a "Superfund"
> >toxic-waste dump.

> >---Rob Landry wrote:
> >

> >> The last time I visited their site -- about seven years ago -- they
> >were
> >> running 50 kW daytime, 500 watts at night. Their transmitter was in
> >> Burrilville, about 20 miles from Providence, and they used a
6-tower
> >array
> >> which sent most of the 50 kW in the direction of Providence and
out to
> >> sea.  They were unlistenable in Boston.
> >>
> >> At night they were unlistenable in Providence, too.
> >
> I'm not sure whether the 5-kW night signal is on the air yet or not.
The
> increase required moving one tower and slightly modifying the day
pattern.
> If the higher power night signal is on the air and there are any group
> members in the Ocean State, I'm sure we'd like to know whether the
signal is
> listenable in Providence at night. The CP specified a change in the
COL to