Re: [neradio] Appropriate last songs (was Re: Fw: ...But RKO rolled me....)

At 7:46 PM -0800 11/1/98, Bob Nelson wrote:

>And now that we've stumbled onto famous last moments
>in a station's history, how about when the exalted
>WHDH (850) calls were retired in favor of WEEI, and
>a disgruntled producer had the sound effect of a
>toilet flush as the last thing heard on "WHDH"?
>I actually tuned in and heard it...and only wish I
>had a tape rolling...Not that it was really a proud
>moment in radio. Just uh, "memorable".

I knew the guy (ir)responsible for this, at the time WHDH radio was still
at the Channel 7 building, although no longer under the same ownership.
The person came back for a visit a couple of weeks later and was talking to
me and another person in Ch 7 Master Control describing the circumstances.

There was no producer at all involved with this incident.  The board
operator was simply told to fill after the last program till exactly the
stroke of midnight, and then to collect unemployment the next week.  So, he
chose what to air, and probably self-destructed his career in the process.

Not the brightest bulb in the industry, but he certainly did get his
message across, and I'm sure many of us agree with the message even if the
tactic was more than a bit unprofessional.

Larry Weil
WHDH-TV Master Control and
Lake Wobegone, NH