WNEZ / WKND / WMMW

>Mike Thomas wrote:
> The Hartford AM, WNEZ (910) is actually a younger skewing urban,
probably
> closer to WJMN-Boston musically than a mainstream urban or urban AC.
 In fact,
> I think WNEZ ID's as "Jam'n 910."  Hartford already has an urban AC
on AM,
> WKND (1480).

        WNEZ I think goes by Jamz 910, but on its subformat, you are
correct, sir. WKND is an older demo -- Motown oldies show up, etc. But
it's daytime only, 500 w, directional, with one of the most
worthless signals in the history of radio. It would be accurate to say
that portions of the city of Hartford already have WKND as an urban
AC. Even though Hartford's geographic area is tiny, WKND really
doesn't make it to the southern city limits. And that's at noon. SR+1
and SS-1 it's already bombed into oblivion. Its signal may be why
it's actually licensed to the bordering suburb of Windsor. Until WNEZ,
however, the African-American community here had no other station, so
WKND survived. WNEZ's signal is pretty good day and night, especially
for covering where its target population is concentrated.
        Related to Spanish-language radio in the Hartford area: WMMW /
1470 /
Meriden has flipped to a simulcast of WDRC (AM), making that a
quad-cast with WWCO and WSNG. I had noted that WMMW was silent on
Thursday and
yesterday it was on with the simulcast. I guess that means Buckley
took it over November 1.