Re: [neradio] Appropriate last songs (was Re: Fw: ...But RKO rolled me....)

Wonder what the last song was on WWEL (AM 1430 and
FM 107.9) in January of '78 (or was it '79?), and
the first song on its successor, WXKS, "Kiss 108"?
(I think the change was on Jan. 15, not New Year's,
in the case of WWEL to WXKS)...imagine the reaction
the next morning of the people who woke up hearing
disco instead of "beautiful music"! (Visions of Dr.
Johnny Fever's change of the format in "WKRP in
Cincinnatti"!)

And now that we've stumbled onto famous last moments
in a station's history, how about when the exalted
WHDH (850) calls were retired in favor of WEEI, and
a disgruntled producer had the sound effect of a
toilet flush as the last thing heard on "WHDH"?
I actually tuned in and heard it...and only wish I
had a tape rolling...Not that it was really a proud
moment in radio. Just uh, "memorable".

- ---Scott Levison <z800525a@bc.seflin.org> wrote:

> December 31, 1978...WACQ/1150Q going off the air (as well as the
quasi
> country/AOR sister WTTK/TK101). Just before midnite, the jock (some
kid
> named Sancious/Sanchez (remember...this is going back 20 years)
plays "We