Re: [neradio] Appropriate last songs (was Re: Fw: ...But RKO rolled me....)

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Shel wrote:

> From: "Shel" <shel@big68.org>
>
> Justin appropriately played "American Pie", but I think another fitting
> asongto indicate a format change would be "Changes" by David Bowie.  Can
> anyone add to this list?

I sure can...

December 31, 1978...WACQ/1150Q going off the air (as well as the quasi
country/AOR sister WTTK/TK101). Just before midnite, the jock (some kid
named Sancious/Sanchez (remember...this is going back 20 years) plays "We
Are The Champions." Then, at midnite, I heard tw IDs..."WACQ, Boston,"
and a second one: "WHUE AM and WHUE-FM, Boston (Never did hear what the
FM signed off with.). Since it was now January 1, WHUE signed on with
"Auld Lang Syne."

Labor Day Weekend, 1984. Just before 3 p.m on the Friday of that weekend,
WCOZ signs off with "Go Now," by The Moody Blues. WZOU then signs on with
the "Hot Hits" jingle (I wanted to die...I thought Mike Josephs had now
invaded Boston) and goes right into "She-Bop" by Cyndi Lauper.

More recently (and more relevant to Shel's topic) we had WSHE here in S.
Florida leaving two and a half years ago by playing the Bowie tune as well
as "A Change Is Gonna Come,"  by Candlebox as well as another tune (I made
a tape..it's somewhere in my house). At 1:03, "The New Modern Sound of
103.5" debuted with "Steppin' Out," by Joe Jackson. They still legally
ID'd themselves as WSHE, but they de-emphasized that until they legally
became "WPLL/PLanet Radio 103.5."

Scott
"Scooter Livingston"