Re: WNFT...?

At 04:15 PM 10/29/98 EST, you wrote:
>From what I have heard Entercomm didn't get WNFT but my sources could be wrong
>too.

No, your sources are correct. It went to Mega, the mostly-Spanish group that
owns the urban station on 910 in New Britain-Hartford. I don't think the FCC
has approved the transfer yet, and from the little bit of listening I've
done, there seems to be no change in the all-satellite programming, so I
doubt whether Mega is operating the station under LMA. I've heard no word of
Mega's plans for WNFT. When they took over the Hartford AM from ARS, the
station went Spanish very briefly and then switched to urban (whether it's
urban AC like WNFT, I don't know). But there has been speculation in this
group that the switch to satellite UAC was made when the temporary owners (a
trust that held WNFT, WWTM, and, I think, WAAF) knew that the deal with Mega
was going to go down. If that's the case, Mega may not be planning to flip
WNFT to SS.

One of the irksome things about WNFT is that since they started the
satellite feed, they've been running the same PSAs day in and day out on a
very tight rotation (no more than two hours). And several of the PSAs
contain errors. I figured that the errors might have been intentional--if
there were a way to reach the station. some people would have called to
point out the errors, and the station could have used those calls to prove
to potential advertisers that someone was actually listening. But there is
no way I know of to reach the station (no address or phone number). Anyhow,
the toll free number for the Mass Audubon Society is NOT 1-800-AUDOBON; it's
1-800-AUDUBON. and I'm pretty sure that the number for the American Cancer
Society is not 1-800-9KANCER. Misspelling Audubon is understandable, I
guess, but cancer?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205