Re: Fw: "frequency shorthand"

> >> Martin J. Waters wrote:  "...one of the earliest instances of an AM
> >> station changing its reference to its own frequency that I recall
is
> >> WBZ. Sometime relatively early in the game -- it seems like it may
have
> >> been the very early '70s -- it dropped "Radio 1-0-3 and became
"Radio
> >> 10-30."

I rememnber they also had a billboard campain about it...  (Musta been
some big research behind the change from the top of WEestinghouse...!)

The billoboards all said WBZ Radio XXXX

I remember being really puzzled.  XXXX?

I think the plan was that one morning everone would wake up and the XXXX
would be replaced with 1-0-3-0.  But I don't remeber the changeover as
much as the XXXX.

Seemed odd then....seems odd now.  But it must have been an internal
westinghouse decision.....that apparently warrented enough importance to
do a billboard campin.

Also remember that the BZ studio has a sign that sadid:

   "WBZ - Radio 1030"
    (ALWAYS Together!)

i.e....when the jocks said the calls, they were also to say the
frequency....again as ten-thirty...

bm