UMass football

Since I got a later start than intended Saturday, I listened to the
Homecoming football game on the car radio while driving out to Amherst.
WADN came in loud and clear from Newton to somewhere past Framingham, at
which point I started looking for a Worcester-area affiliate.  Apparently
there isn't one.  The next station I heard carrying the game was WGAM in
Greenfield, which I first heard somewhere around Brimfield.  The signal
wasn't very good and faded in and out until I realized that WMUA also
carries the game and I was probably within range.  I was right on both
counts.

I always thought it strange that WMUA has always had its own coverage of
UMass sports, separate from any commercial stations.  What I thought even
stranger was the large number of commercials -- oops, I mean "underwriting
announcements."  Just what are the rules that distinguish a commercial
from an underwriting announcement?  I couldn't discern any difference
between the announcements on WMUA and commercials.

I tried WHMP when I thought I was within range, but it didn't have a
strong signal much farther out than Belchertown.  I arrived at the game
just after the start of the second half and, using a transistor radio,
continued to listen to WMUA's coverage while watching the game.

Incidentally, the mystery of a week or two ago when someone heard the
UMass game on WPLM is solved.  While I was listening to WADN, I heard a
joint legal ID for WADN and WPLM.  So WPLM is indeed carrying the games
and getting them through its affiliation with WADN.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/