RE: Tight Play Lists

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Loss of TSL happens when radio is not compelling, and there are many
> reasons for that, not the least of which is an overrun of spots.  Of
> course, if a station is running high repetition on BAD RECORDS, they will
> get their butts handed to them.
>
> If you are really targeted and playing the HITS, repetition is not a
> problem... if your number one focus is getting ratings.

This, of course, assumes that we're talking about hit radio.  When we're
talking about other types of formats, tight lists can be a self-parody.
Thus we get a certain classical station that keeps playing Beethoven's
Consecration of the House Overture day after day at the same time.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/