RE: Tight Play Lists

Been having some thoughts on this thread from earlier in the week.

As I understand it, the total number of persons using radio in total is
in a decline as well.  Internet, satellite/cable tv, video games, movie
rentals, etc may contribute, but many of these options have been around
for years.  Spot loads have increased since the entire consolidation
thing started, and I suspect that this has been a factor.

As for the subject at hand, there have been tight listed stations for way
longer than some can remember.  I recall a Top 40 station in Cincinnati
that ran with 47 records for an entire ratings period in 1977.  People
have complained about tight lists for years.  Drake was slammed for it in
65; seventies programmers like Buzz Bennett and Paul Drew were slammed
for it in the  70s; Fred Jacobs was slammed for it when he rolled out
classic rock in the 80's; even Lee Abrams was slammed for it in the first
tightening of album rock in 71.  They were ALL successful in making
ratings, because their competitors didn't play the hits consistently.

Loss of TSL happens when radio is not compelling, and there are many
reasons for that, not the least of which is an overrun of spots.  Of
course, if a station is running high repetition on BAD RECORDS, they will
get their butts handed to them.

If you are really targeted and playing the HITS, repetition is not a
problem... if your number one focus is getting ratings.

Rick Kelly

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]