Re: "frequency shorthand"

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> > stations I track for Mediabase is actually an AM/FM simulcast.  They identify
> > as "WWCK-FM-AM, Flint" (The stations are in Flint, MI.)  My question is--is
> > that a legal ID??
>
> Not unless they have a waiver from the Funny Cookie Commission.

Funny, but I remember when an ID in the form "Wxxx AM & FM Boston" was
quite common.  According to the rules as written, this doesn't seem to be
a legal ID, but even when the FCC was regularly enforcing its rules, I've
never heard of any station having a problem over this.  Or were the rules
different back then?

In fact, is "Wxxx and Wxxx-FM, Boston" a proper legal ID?  Or do the rules
require "Wxxx, Boston and Wxxx-FM, Boston"?

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/