Public Service (was The NAB, continued (PSAs))

In a message dated 10/19/98 1:03:20 AM EST, dlh@donnahalper.com writes:

<< How much public service do your stations run, folks?  >>

The station that I work for, WMGX, does a ton of public service, but it is
integrated into the programming as promotional events and not just the
standard, boring PSAs that are ineffective.

For example, one of the biggest events the station does every year is a food
drive for a local food pantry.  The morning team is out in the community for
several days collecting food and they collect enough to keep the local shelter
stocked for a few months.

The station is also involved in countless other community events each year,
but they are all done as promotional events for the station, not just PSAs.
It's a win, win situation.  The community group gets publicity and the station
gets good public relations.

I am sure the commercial value of the promotion given by the station for the
various events would be thousands of dollars.

WMGX probably does more public service of this kind than most stations, but it
has been my observation that most well run stations are involved in promoting
many community events in this way.  It may not been the typical PSAs that many
people think of as "public service," but it is still public service and in my
mind it is much more effective.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine