Re: Talent Mood

In a message dated 10/8/98 2:46:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, billo@erols.com
writes:

<< With all of the changes of ownership going on, merging of management teams,
 I am curious as to the general mood of talent in town right now.  Are many
 buying houses?  Refinancing?  Subscribing to relocation magazines? >>

With all of the buying and selling going on, I decided to get out of day to
day radio last year, partially due to the uncertainty.  My last full time gig
was at WERZ, which has been sold 4 times in the last year and a half.
(Precision Media to ARS, which got bought out by CBS, then sold to Capstar
which recently merged with Chancellor Media.)  Each time the station was
sold/transferred, tensions ran high amongst the staff, fearing that positions
would be eliminated.  My position with Premiere Radio/Mediabase Research is
much more stable, even though its owned by Jacor (soon to be Clear Channel.)

I've also chosen to part-time at WXLO which is a stand-alone in Worcester,
with only a few other regional radio holdings simply due to it's stability.
We have put off buying a house until the industry settles back down into some
semblance of normalcy.  So, has it affected talent in the industry?
Absolutely in my case.  However,  I do like my present situation and I'll have
to think long and hard before I get back into day to day radio any time in the
forseeable future.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks