Re: [BC] a legal matter-- minors on radio or TV

- -----Original Message-----
From: Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
To: broadcast@broadcast.net <broadcast@broadcast.net>
Cc: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 1998 6:46 PM
Subject: [BC] a legal matter-- minors on radio or TV

>I was taught
>when I studied journalism that no radio newsperson could use any minor's
>voice without first getting permission.  Did that change somewhere along
>the line?

Things have changed......now they all hide behind the First Amendment and
cry
"newsworthy".

For the record, my 15 seconds of fame came in 1977 or '78 when I was shot
by KTVU Channel 2 cameras while caddying for Len Rhode and John Brodie
during a celebrity golf tournament in the SF area. I was a minor, and they
made
a great deal out of giving us release forms to mail in. The footage was
shown during
the 11 o'clock news that night, so the releases we signed after the fact.

If indeed news media personnel were required to obtain releases for ANY
likeness,
sound, etc, we'd surely have more real news and less crap on the air.

James S. Kaplan KG7FU
EDX Engineering, Inc.
http://www.edx.com
jamesk@edx.com
541-345-0019, 541-345-8145 FAX

"MY likeness, sound, words, etc. are MY property and copyright 1998. Use
them without permission for commerical gain and receive a $5000 invoice."