a legal matter-- minors on radio or TV

Could you nice folks settle a disagreement?  A student of mine at Emerson
shot some video of a news event and a little kid was in the video.  I say
she (the student) needs a parent's permission to use the child in the
video.  But several other people I asked said there is no rule or law about
when you can use the image or likeness-- or the voice of a minor-- that
it's mainly a courtesy to ask a parent.  Can that be true???  I was taught
when I studied journalism that no radio newsperson could use any minor's
voice without first getting permission.  Did that change somewhere along
the line?