Re: MMM Theme

At 11:19 PM 9/24/98 -0400, you wrote:

I can remember only a few lines of the lyric:

When the world should all be sleepin'
And a melody comes creepin'
It's no cabaret
It's the Milkman's Matinee

Down the Milky Way each mornin'
Dance your cares away till dawnin'
Everything's grade A
At the Milkman's Matinee

And the voice that I associate with the show more than any other is that of
Art Ford, Over the years, though, I believe that William B Williams hosted
for quite a long stretch, as did Julius LaRosa. I'm not sure at all, but MMM
may have been Williams' first gig at 'NEW.

I remember Williams originally at WOV (1280--now WADO). In those days, WOV
was an ethnic station by day (Italian; my barber always had it on), and did
a variety of musical shows at night. Their slogan: "WOV--fills your nights
with music." WOV carried what was then, I believe, New York's only
country-music show. The host must have been one of the country's first
female DJs--Rosalee Allen. Williams, despite his great voice and polished
presentation, was unable to break into the big leagues of New York radio for
many years because he was black. He had to settle for a gig at
WOV--decidedly a second-tier station--until WNEW finally hired him. I don't
remember whether that was before or after Jackie Robinson broke the color
barrier in baseball.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205