Re: WJIB Night-time power

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Larry Weil wrote:

> I believe (I always use that disclaimer in case I'm wrong) that the "V"
> call signs are left over from before 1948, when Newfoundland was an
> independent country.  But, since all the ham callsigns in Canada begin with
> "V", and as far as I know always have, I'm not really totally sure if I'm
> correct.

Newfoundland wasn't an independent country, it was a British possession.
It became a Canadian province in 1949.  I believe (I use that disclaimer,
too.) that one set of V calls were assigned to Newfoundland, and other
sets of V calls were assigned to Canada, which is why Canadian hams get
the V calls.  And Newfoundland broadcast stations were able to keep their
V calls after union with Canada.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/