Re: Rates (was Silly legal IDs)

>I'm not sure if you are serious about this but it is impossible.  Radio is
not
>the only means of advertising in any market.  Even if one company owns all
the
>radio stations in a market they cannot simply raise their rates beyond what
>the market will support because they have competition for advertising
dollars
>from television, cable, newspapers, the Internet, Etc.

I am dead serious.  The fact is, radio stations can make big money with
"national" buys.  And while not every major corporatin would want to
advertise on just one station in a market, they might be more atracted to a
bunch of them at once, for maximum saturation.

As far as results are concerned  I won't debate Radio vs TV vs
Internet...all have their place.  But since conglomeration, Radio sales have
gone way up (check with the radio Advertising Bureau to prove me out).

TV is most-watched in the evening, while Radio is most-listened to in the
morning, which is why stations pay big bucks for morning air-talent.
Internet advertising, while growing, is carving out a good niche for
iytself, but it will not affect Radio and TV inthe least.  For starters, you
can't hear an Internet commercial while surbfing (well, really you can, but
not many people have good-enough modems or software yet), but you can listen
to Radio anywhere at all. That means you can always hear a commercial,
whether inthe car, jogging, etc.

Anyway, I believe Radio offers the best buys right now.  But, when you have
any kind of monopooly in any market, that is not healthy for competition,
which can make prices more affordable for the moms and pops, which will be
cut out of the equation altogether, as Radio is conglomerating today.

I dare you to find any smaller business that could use Radio to help it
prosper but can afford it...at least in a good-sized market.

:) shel