Re: Troubles at WERS??

>  IMHO, WERS is a breath of fresh air......and probably reflects what
>Emerson is about better than any other college station in the area does
>for their respective schools. Does WHRB represent Harvard, WZBC Boston
>College, WMBR MIT, WMFO Tufts?????

As a former PD of a college station, I have a great deal of respect for what
WERS does.  To keep the format (and 'live' the genres) is a true challenge.
WJUL had a hard time avoiding the 'patchwork quilt' of genre blend.

I recall endless philosophical discussions at the station meetings relative
to the degrees of freedom that should be afforded the jocks, the students,
the community-at-large (given the regional potential).  We developed the
(now defunct) series Spectrum which aired weeknights 6-10 (college radio
prime-time) featuring 6 genres per week, while the rest of the clock was,
essentially, newer 'rock' (for want of a better word) releases than would be
heard on comm. radio.  The fact that WERS has hung in there with folk and
jazz as long as they have is impressive, like it or not.

The downside at WERS, and other stations like it, are the stories of radio
hopefuls gleeful for the off-chance of earning a junior or senior year two
hour shift at 2 a.m. on a Sunday.  As we all know, the only way to ride a
bike is to ride.  Radio is much the same way.  Spokes 'em if you gots 'em.

Bill O'Neill