Re: WJIB Night-time power

     When CBL/740 leaves the air in October, don't expect the
frequency to be silent for long.  The CRTC (the Canadian equivalent of
the FCC) has opened up "window" of sorts to entertain applicants who
want to take over the facility for a new station or allow an existing
station to move to 740.  The same situation applies to 860/Toronto and
940/Montreal.  Expect the CHUM Group to be an important player.
CFRB/1010 in Toronto, originally licensed on 860 will more than likely
move back to the 860 frequency that they originally had to yield to
the CBC, many years ago, in order to get CJBC on the air.
     As formore nighttime power on WJIB, forget it.  As an engineer
for that great station, I can tell you that we still will have to
abide by the laws that are on the books.  740 is a Canadian clear and
is protected under International Treaty.  Even if the Toronto
allocation is silent for a while, we still will have to powerdown to
our respectable 5 watt authorization at sunset.  It is pretty much
"cut and dry". That's the way it is.

73,
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Engineer, WJIB/740