DXing the Super-Mighty WHOM

        I had WHOM on my car radio tonight and calculate that it's
approximately 208 miles from Mount Washington to my driveway in Conn. Got
an ID at 2348 on 9/5 -- a first for me here. Now, if they could just put up
a tower that's a little higher, it probably wouldn't fade so much <g>.
        It was lighting the stereo light on my really cool new toy, my Sony
XR-C6100 car radio. I recommend it highly. The AM is as good or better in
some ways than the factory Toyota radio I had (which I consider pretty
good). And the FM is significantly better. It gets some signal on almost
every channel from 92.1 up in my local neighborhood here. I can get some of
the NYC stations, which I have never been able to get here on any other
radio, including the GE Superadio III.
        I think the C6100 goes for around $180-$200. There's a
next-model-down (may be 5100?) that's almost identical except it does not
have Dolby. The C6100 has the CD changer handling capability. I don't know
about the other one. They have a feature called digital base, which is a
separate selector from the regular bass control. You can choose one of
three levels of bass boost that have curves so the very lowest bass is
boosted more. Sort of a poor person's subwoofer substitute. I believe the
first step is a 14 dB boost.
        And, no, I'm not on Sony's payroll <g>. Happy motoring.