Re: Liners & You

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Sven Weil wrote:

>  Ahhh...but that is one of the small pleasures of doing radio...
> especially college radio...WHen I was spinning platters at WSIA
> in Staten ISland, NYC; I would frequently talk over songs
> in  the begining, middle, end...whatever...

Much to the annoyance of the people who actually want to hear the song!

BTW, this reminds me of a technique that Buffalo Bob Smith used to do on
his old morning show.  He'd have, say, a Frank Sinatra record cued up,
then he'd start singing the song himself, while accompanying himself on
the piano.  At a pre-arranged spot, he'd say, "Take it, Frank," and the
record would take it from there.  If his engineer did it right, the
transition would be seemless and would give the illusion that Frank
Sinatra was in the studio and had responded to Bob's cue.

He describes in his autobiography how, when he moved from Buffalo to WNBC,
he fought to get the same engineer every day, so that he could work these
things out with him and have these transitions work properly.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/