Re: Re: Billboard charts

In a message dated 9/3/98 12:49:00 AM, steveord@xtdl.com wrote:

<<What I wonder is; 10, 15, 20 years from now, what will be the definitive
"Bible" of what was a hit post-1990 (give or take) like the Whitburn book
is for the 50s thru the mid-ish 80s?  If Billboard's Hot 100 chart is less
than representative of what people perceive as a hit, what should we use?
Or maybe with today's extreme fragmentation, it's a moot point.

Joel Whitburn's books now include airplay-only hits listed in the same artist
columns as all their other Hot 100 hits.  For example, Alanis Morissette's
column lists in this order: You Oughta Know(#13 Airplay), Hand In My
Pocket(#15 Airplay) All I Really Want(#65 Airplay), Ironic #4, You Learn #6,
[Last two were Hot 100 singles], Head Over Feet (#5 Airplay).
	This is very helpful as more and more hits songs are airplay only hits and
not available as a commercial single.

Gary Ford
WFTN-FM