Re: Herald vs. WBCN

Tough to say what would motivate Purcell to go on
WBCN (supposedly to promote the re-designed paper).
It's been said that the Herald wants to go after
more suburban readers with stuff like color photos,
more features,and less "tabloid-y" headlines. (I
believe articles in the Globe and Phoenix mentioned
that.) Maybe his intention was to win over some younger readers by
going on WBCN.
Again,I have not heard the actual interview, and am
only going by Jurkowitz' column.

It should be noted, by the way, that there was a
recent "war" going on between WAAF and rival WBCN
over Nik Carter; WAAF jocks were said to have made
some racial comments about Carter,who is an
African-American... anyway, there were articles about
all that in either the Globe or the Herald or both;
articles sympathetic to Carter in the wake of the
comments. I'm pretty sure the articles I read were in
the Globe. But if the Herald had also "taken Carter's
side" in the matter, then why would Carter carve them
up in an interview? (But again, I can't recall if
the Herald had published such articles.)
Man...another newspaper scandal in the offing?
(Oh, and now that I think of it, maybe Carter is
alleging that the Herald was being unfair in their
coverage of HIS recent problems. Again, I'd need to
hear the actual interview to get a better understanding
of all this. The Jurkowitz piece only went so far.)

- ---Bill O'Neill <billo@erols.com> wrote:

> Purcell said
> >that unfair charges were made during the interview,
> >and that was why the ads ($200,000 worth, I think)
> >were pulled. Any more info on this? Did someone
> >hear the actual interview?
>
> (If this went down) gimme a break!  Purcell knew exactly what he was
in for
> when he sat for that (alleged) interview.  Any repercusions against
the jock
> or the station by ownership because of the apparant cash grab by the
tabloid
> will be closely watched.
>
> What was Purcell thinking about when he went there for an interview,
anyway?
> Planting the seeds of (bad) publicity to augment his new roll-out of
the> "Cancel my ad buy" has a close cousin in "Cancel my
> paper, perhaps?  The big set-up?

subscription."