Re: Billboard charts

In a message dated 9/3/98 12:49:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time, steveord@xtdl.com
writes:

<< What I wonder is; 10, 15, 20 years from now, what will be the definitive
 "Bible" of what was a hit post-1990 (give or take) like the Whitburn book
 is for the 50s thru the mid-ish 80s?  If Billboard's Hot 100 chart is less
 than representative of what people perceive as a hit, what should we use?
 Or maybe with today's extreme fragmentation, it's a moot point. >>

The latest edition of the Whitburn "Top 40 Hits" book lists songs from the mid
1980's forward with peak chart position as usual, but now under each song is
peak sales position and peak airplay position numbers.  There have always been
"sales hits" and "radio hits"--now you can tell the difference.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks