Re: RE: Billboard charts

In a message dated 8/31/98 11:33:55 AM, rkirk@videoserver.com wrote:

<<Donna wrote:
>Many of the songs that Kiss 108 plays, for example,
>are not on the Billboard charts anywhere, even though
>the songs are in a hot rotation.
<<Rick wrote:
Some of these songs weren't released domestically
as singles,  and Billboard doesn't chart them.
An example: Lovefool - Cardiagans   There are others,
but I don't have documentation handy.>>

Out of the top 20 of R & R's CHR/Pop chart from the last weekend(8/28), 11 out
of the top 20 songs have never reached the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.
That is because Billboard won't put songs on the chart unless at one time they
were commercially available to the public.  Out of the remaining 9 songs, 5
are no longer availabe for the public to buy.  This is the record companies
push for consumers to buy full length CDs which brings in more $$$.  The
record companies will only put out limited copies of singles just to have the
song appear on the Hot 100 and then pull them off the market.  An example of
this is "Getting Jiggy Wit It" by Will Smith, "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing"
by Aerosmith and "To The Moon and Back" by Savage Garden. Some of the airplay
only songs on the Hot 100 are "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls, "Closing Time" by
Semisonic, and "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia.  People have to buy the full
length CDs to get these songs.
	Billboard does have a Hot 100 airplay chart taking BDS readings from CHR/Pop,
CHR/Rhythmic, Modern Rock, AC, Hot AC, and Adult AC charts.  They also have a
sister publication that I recieve which is called Billboard Monitor Airplay.
They break down the spins for each song by station and they have pretty nice
articles.  They have charts for alot of formats looking similar to R &R's
charts.

Gary Ford
WFTN-FM