Re: Beethoven's Fifth Time Signals

<<On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 02:22:44 -0400, mwaters@wesleyan.edu (Martin J. Waters) said:

> doing shortwave. The one hour I heard them they concluded their program
> announcements at 59:30 to make way for a series of time tones at one-second
> intervals, followed by five seconds of silence at 59:55, followed by the
> hourly tone and the network. I guess nobody told them that (I imagine)
> those tones were not meant for broadcast.

No, actually, those tones were meant for broadcast.  One hour out of
every day, the CBC broadcasts a time signal at the top.

> Hey. It was Sunday --
> part-timers. What can you do <g>.

If it was CBMB (91.7) that you were listening to, what you heard was a
straight relay of the Quebec Community Network service, which
originates from CBVE-FM in Quebec City.  That time signal was
broadcast on at least fifty stations.

- -GAWollman

- --