Re: Beethoven's Fifth Time Signals

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Stephen R. Low wrote:

> I seem to recall that those 4 "notes" were intended to be the Morse code
> letter "V" for Victory. I also seem to recall that Beethoven's Fifth,
> indeed, is sometimes knows as the Victory Symphony.

Quite so.  And many radio stations began using those 4 notes as a time
signal at the top of the hour during World War II.  But unlike WTIC, most
of them had stopped by the early 1950s.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/