Calling all corporate support representatives

It has been noted by many on this list that stations big and small have
been seeking sales help over the air these days.  Here's a variation on
the theme:
"...information and music you get whenever you tune in.  Perhaps you've
even wondered what it would be like to work here.  Hi, this is Russ
Peotter, director of marketing and development for Maine Public Radio,
and as someone who's worked in public broadcasting for many years I can
say that it IS a challenging and truly rewarding place to work.  Now I
mention this because we're currently seeking a corporate support
representative to help Maine Public Radio continue developing
relationships with the business community.  This is a unique partnership
that seeks support from everyone who appreciates and uses this unique
service.  If enlisting business support for something you REALLY believe
in appeals to you, please contact our human resources department for
details..."
This unique announcement turned up on a tape that my unique
timer-controlled rig caught last Thursday.  The tape didn't quite catch
the beginning but you get the idea.

I don't think MPR has been quite as aggressive about soliciting sponsors
as its neighbors have; perhaps MPR hasn't felt the need to work at it
because of its university and television connections.  Anyway, I decided
to see if my perception that MPR has noticeably fewer "enhanced
underwriter announcements" than New Hampshire Public Radio has any basis
in reality by taking notes during today's 4-5pm block when both stations
run the first hour of "All Things Considered."  Announcements averaged
11 seconds in length on MPR and 10 seconds on NHPR.  There were 5
announcements spread between 2 breaks during the hour on MPR, 15
announcements in 6 breaks on NHPR.  Total time devoted to local
underwriters-- :56 on MPR, 2:36 on NHPR.

The underwriter list in the July MPR member newsletter numbers 59
whereas the March NHPR newsletter has 125 underwriters, 31 of them
listed as new.  I don't have the numbers in front of me but I know MPR
has more dues-paying members and I suspect it has a larger listening
audience than NHPR.  It sounds like Maine has great growth potential for
the right corporate support representative.  Of course, as a listener I
think it's great that the phrase "made possible by" turns up only a
couple times an hour--often less--on MPR but I don't expect that to last
forever.  The trend in public radio these days is to fill those network
cutaways with as many spots as possible.