WALE/990, Providence, RI

     I don't know much about the "alleged" improprieties of WALE.  But
I can say that WALE is NOT the most powerful signal in Southern New
England.  Sure, it is 50,000 watts.  BUT, those 50,000 watts serve the
"fishies" of the Atlantic coast of RI and Southeastern Cape Cod.  I
live less than 30 miles from Providence and EVEN WITH a GE Superadio
II or III, that signal is in the "mud" at best.  This station has
never been a "ratings getter".  It was the former WLKW.  The
call-letters stood for 50,000 watts or 50 kW, hence..WLKW.   It is the
same station that broadcast a phony on-air "shooting", some years ago.
 They got in deep hot H2O on that one.  The transmitter site is
allegedly on top of a former toxic waste disposal site.  This station
doesn't really serve any purpose I can think of.  I wonder if it is
worth anything and how much did the current owners pay for this
station ?   WOW, 990 is not a lucky frequency (except for maybe the
late "Wibbage").

- -Pete