Re: scam at WALE

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Shel wrote:

> Years ago, I visited then-WLKW-AM and FM and asked its Chief Engineer why
> the station bothered with 50kW since virtually all of it went out to see.
> His response was correct: "Still, we can say we're the most powerful (AM)
> station in Rhode Island."  From a marketer's standpoint, that's correct.
> But it's now just a "WALE-tale."

It may be they can say they are the most powerful AM station in Rhode
Island.  But we are being told that they claimed to be the most powerful
station in the three Southern New England states.  If they said that, it
is a patently false claim.

> The important thing to remember is that this is still an ALLEGED incident.
> People make all kinds of claims today, whether for the thrill of publicity,
> enrichment by money, or both.  We must first allow time for the facts to be
> proven before we make judgement either way.

Of course.  I am commenting on the events as described.  If it happened as
described, it sounds to me like a criminal fraud.  It's up to the people
telling the story to produce documentation that things happened as they
describe.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/