Re: Fwd: A Scam at WALE?

At 03:02 AM 8/11/98 -0400, Donna Halper wrote:
>Anyone heard of people being scammed by WALE???  This was forwarded to me
>by somebody in the industry who I have always found trustworthy, and who
>wanted me to verify if any of these claims were true.
>
> While I have heard some WEIRD programming on that station, I didn't
>realise it may have ventured into illegal or unethical... do any of you
>know what is going on at that station?

<tale of woe snipped>

While WALE certainly sounds like they're using some very slippery
salesmanship to sell brokered time on the station, it doesn't sound to me
like they're doing anything illegal, immoral or fattening.  I have NEVER
heard of a brokered time arrangement where the station was responsible for
selling advertising...usually it's up to the person leasing the time to try
& recoup their costs on their own. Usually providing the airtime is the
station's only obligation.  If the contract specifically stated the station
would sell the time, then your friends might want to enlist the services of
a lawyer (we've got at least 2 here on the list). Realistically, how many
stations that broker out a substantial portion of their airtime are not
stations that are at the bottom of the barrel?