Re: auroral conditions at night

Sounds like auroral. With the sunspot cycle
where it's headed, signals on the middle and
upper shortwave bands to FM/VHF/etc. should
get better in the next couple years.

It's been very, very auroral in NE Ohio for the past couple evenings with
semi-local WTIG/
Massillon, Ohio  (satellite sports prgmg.) heard
 like a local with just 125 watts at night. WTIG
is 3-tower directional SOUTH...and I am north
of them by 20 miles.....just one example.
Many other regional AMs that are seldom heard
after sunset were coming in well.

FYI...Tim, Akron, Ohio
- ----------
> From: Martin J. Waters <mwaters@wesleyan.edu>
> To: boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
> Cc: dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net; dlh@donnahalper.com
> Subject: Unusual AM skywave propagation
> Date: Sunday, August 09, 1998 1:28 PM
>
>         As was the case over a very wide area a few months ago (May?) for
> several nights, last night brought a severe suppression of most AM
skywave
> reception -- in this case, at least here in Connecticut. I suppose it's
the
> sunspot situation. Nearly all the regular nighttime Class A stations were
> almost totally absent. WBAL is a litmus test for me -- it normally
thunders
> in. It was simply not there. Ditto up and down the dial, with a couple
> exceptions. Beyond WBZ, which I think of as a nighttime local, and which
> was weaker than normal, there was almost nothing. The exceptions were
WBT,
> very strong, and WTOP, weaker than usual, WWKB, very weak, and WSAI, very
> poor. But normally very strong signals such as WJR, WTAM, WOWO, were not
> discernible, either at around 9-10 p.m. or at around 1-2 a.m.
>         The most interesting thing was, though, that this must be some
sort
> of phenomenon in which at the same time other skywaves from a particular
> area were coming in unusually strongly instead. There were
Spanish-speaking
> stations all up and down the dial where normally there are other
stations.
> I was getting Spanish on 580, 620, 630, 640, 670, 680, 750, 810, 900, and
> 990, among others. I did not get the high-power station in the Caribbean
> that sometimes shows up on 1020. On 1180, which is Radio Marti in the
> Florida Keys and the corresponding Cuban shooting back, I was getting an
> incredibly strong signal and no WHAM at all. Normally, if the Spanish is
> heard, it is way in the background -- never on top. I did not get any
good
> IDs for any of these Spanish stations, however.
>         On the theory that these were all Cuban and/or Mexican and/or
even
> central and South America, I tried to get some U.S. stations from the
same
> direction, but WWL, which I normally can't hear anymore, was not there.
The