Re: Adult Standards (was Re: Globe story on 'GBH-FM)

>FMradio1@aol.com said:
>>
>> I think that you will see more and more MOYL stations moving to FM as the
>> Boomers age into retirement.  In New London, CT, WNLC-AM was playing
standards
>> using Unistar's AM-Only format and getting miniscule ratings.  Last fall they
>> moved the programming to newly acquired 98.7FM and as of the spring ratings
>> book they are now #2 in the market 12+.  WOCN on the Cape also does well with
>> Standards on FM.  With these success stories starting to happen, I
wouldn't be
>> suprised to see it pop up in more and more markets, and may give
Mainstream AC
>> stations some competition.

I was down in the New London area for part of the weekend and was listening
to WNLC-FM - it appears to be satellite, but very often, I would hear the
announcer within the chatter mention something like, "That was Frank Sinatra
on WNLC, it's now 80 degrees in New London". Definitely not taped call
letters being played like on most satellite stations. Other times, I would
hear the announcer say things like, "Keep on listening to this fine station,
it's thirty minutes past the hour and the weather hasn't changed". Obvious
satellite! But, is WNLC always on the bird?
  Also in the New London area, there are two stations simulcasting each
other - WLIS and WMRD, I think. These stations have great local programming!
I rolled tape all the way through Connecticut!

                                               - Keith W. Barry
                                               kbarry@geocities.com