Re: Fred Lowery, MBS....

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, BUMP MARTIN wrote:

> Also, I had heard his death mentioned on NBC Radio News (RIP).  They
> mentioned he died in Maine at the age of 57.  Since MBS was based in
> Washington, I wondered if he had 'retired' back to Maine...  Or maybe he
> was ill for a long time...and wanted to be back in Maine at his passing.
>  Does anyone know?

 No...Fred came down with an infection of some type while on vacation in
Maine (where he was raised)

There is going to be a memorial service in Norway, Maine on August 8th and
then some sort of a "party" in Washington to celebrate his life later.

I knew Fred from WMEX 30 years ago...and would call him up when work
brought me to DC.... Fredwas the curator of the WMEX "What happened to
list"...and there are only a handful of stations anywhere that can match
the talent that Mac employed over the years.

He loved working overnights.....as it gave him more time on the links.