Re: WGBH stories

<< I think there's a legitimate argument to be made that, if classical
 music radio (of a certain style and presentation) is successful here
 as a commercial enterprise, then the public broadcasters should be
 doing something else.  The whole rationale for public funding of
 broadcasting is that the recipients should be creating programming
 which would otherwise be uneconomical -- not competing with other
 broadcasters who pay taxes which in part support their subsidy! >>

Good point, but I think that idea of public broadcasting is long gone.  Much
of what can be found on public television is similiar to what is on many cable
networks and some of what is only on public TV (some of the British shows in
particular) would likely be featured on cable if it was not on public TV.

I also think there would be more news on commercial radio if not for the drive
time news blocks on public radio.  How can a commercial station compete with a
commercial free alternative?

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine