Re: TIS 1610

Paul Hopfgarten said:

> Question to Engineers in audience. On I-93 in the Somerville area, near the
> WEZE tower, I pick up 2 stations at 1620AM. They are WEZE (590) and WBZ
> (1030). Maybe I'm oversimplifying a complex engineering scheme, but
> 590+1030=1620! Is it a coincidence or is there some reason for this?
>
> I am familiar with the 2x signal happening, 800-WCCM at 1600 on I-93 from
> I-495 to River Rd, and 680-WRKO at 1360 (blowing out what little WLYN signal
> might otherwise get through) at the Rte 128- Rte 3 Intersection in
> Burlington, those being the 2 I run into most. The 'CCM 2x signal for about
> 1 mile, the 'RKO 2x signal for about 2 miles. But the 1620 signals baffle
> me...

  It could be simply a case of signal overload , since your radio is
so close to the transmitter.

When I used to live near the Maspeth section of New York City, I used
to experience a similar problem with WQEW/1560. Their transmitter is located
in that area. The signal was so powerful that 1560 would leak into
other signals, such as WABC-770 and WNYC-820.

The same problem happens at the southern tip of Manhatttan
where WOR-710 frequently overrides 770.

- --
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@lily.org>                          the needs of the few
<http://www.lily.org/~sven>                      or the one."
                                                     -- Surak