Lowell Folk Festival

Quick summary of radio coverage of this weekend's Lowell Folk Festival:WLLH
did not start their coverage today(Sunday)till 2PM,as they ran 2 hours of
the time brokered Voice Of Cambodia program.They carried the festivities
from the JFK Civic Center plaza.WCAP started at Noon with the shows from
Boarding House Park stage.They apparently did not carry anything from the
JFK plaza all weekend,as Bill O'Neill posted previously,they had some
technical problems there,but their mobile studio was parked there all
weekend.They did not carry any of the Friday night shows,I don't know if
they carried any of the Saturday night shows either.WLLH carried both
Friday and Saturday nights from Boarding House Park,as did WJUL,which ,BTW
did not have any festival coverage on today,as they were off the air all
afternoon,they are on the air now as of this posting.I don't know if they
had a transmitter or other problem that knocked them off.        I also
spoke briefly with Bob Ellis of WLLH today,commenting to him about what I
thought was kind of senseless to have 3 stations carrying the same stage on
the air as was the case yesterday afternoon with Boarding House Park on
WLLH,WCAP,and WGBH-FM.His opinion was that the musical acts for the
Saturday show there are picked with Dick Pleasants and WGBH-FM in mind,thus
the acts are the hottest,most popular acts to please WGBH,and the other
stages around the venue are left with the lesser acts,so Bob Ellis feels
that to appeal to the masses,WLLH has to carry the hottest shows also.And
why WCAP made it"3's a crowd" is beyond him.And yes,he agrees they should
have gotten a feed off the sound board minus Dick Pleasants.At least WJUL
carried the JFK stage yesterday,for variety's sake.
                                Mark Watson