Re: New "oldies" format?

At 12:12 PM 7/24/98 EDT, FMradio1@aol.com wrote:

>If this happens, I'd program that format in a heartbeat.  I wouldn't call it
>"oldies" or "classic".  I'd use "Retro Rock" or something to that effect.
>Similar formats already exist on the internet.  In a professional, college
>town like Boston, I could see this kind of format working.  Heck, I bet FNX
>could do retro-alternative fulltime right now, and get better numbers than
>they get currently.

No doubt there will be some such format as Gen Xers push the big 4-0.
Unlikely to pull much in the way of numbers, though...one they were a
fairly small generation and secondly, modern rock/alternative/whatever you
want to call it was never mass-appeal in within it's demographic.  Look how
poorly 70s oldies formats (with the exception of Classic Rock) have
done...and the 70s were much less fragmented than the 80s.