Re: Bruce Schwoegler

- -----Original Message-----
From: Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>

>Like Chumbawumba (or however they spell it), Bruce gets knocked down, but
>he gets up again, you're never gonna keep him down.  Bruce has survived
>assorted purges and management changes over the years.

I hope you are still out there on this list, Bruce, and count me in as a
supporter (FWIW - for what it's worth)!

I like his no-nonsense approach delivered in a genuine way, not "Bruce's TV
persona" sort of way.  At least that has been my perception over the past 20
years.  Bruce seems most at ease with the camera, is very singular-viewer
directed, takes his opinions very seriously - a good thing in the wx biz,
versus the prevalent, "eh, what can ya do? approach to wx reporting."  Bruce
also brings to WBZ TV's newscast a true identity.  Could it be that BZ is
trying to begin a slide away from individual identities?  Channel 7/Moonbeam
has certainly gone that way.  Replace the Ch 7 crew, but hang onto the
logos, music sweepers (okay and Hausle in an inferno wearing today's casual
fashions) and the show continues fairly unscathed.  But that is cheaper
(PSCs are lower $$s) and the fleeting images tie in well to fleeting/fleeing
faces.

WBZ, OTOH, has invested in the more taxi-tested approach of strong
personalities, names, faces.  Alternately, a more expensive approach coupled
with elements like the recent deployment of 'The Lobel Phenomenon' of talent
attempted to use their personae and perceived clout to make a statement to
management.  (Although I maintain my support of the radio PD in the recent
Lobel instance.)

More news when it fits the budget.

Bill O'Neill