Re: USA Network News (was Today's LTAR)

<< Dan...as far as USA goes, consider that facts are facts.  That 99% of the
 other networks appear to be "liberal" doesn't seem to concern anyone.  USA
 simply presents the other side of the story...backed by facts.

 I'm not sure that the liberal or conservative tag can be applied to facts.
 Either something is, or it isn't.  I hear lies in the form of incomplete
 stories given on the "other" networks on a regular basis.  I'd rather hear
 it the way it is, liberal or conservative.

 Just my opinion....:) shel >>

I am obviously bothered by the approach taken by the other networks as well,
but as my mother always said, two wrongs do not make a right.

The Liberal or conservative tag can not be applied to facts but how you
present the facts and what facts you choose to emphasize can show bias.  A
good journalist makes an objective decision on what are the important facts
and presents them in a balanced way.  That unfortunately does not happen
enough anymore in all forms of media.

As for USA, I am a Republican, but I have been shocked by their approach to
stories more than other similiar networks.  In my opinion, USA's bias is more
apparent and extreme than any similiar network.  I also think their approach
does not benefit the conservative movement because it will just turn off
people that don't agree.  A more balanced approach would get out the
conservative point of view but also provide some balance to not turn off those
who are not true believers.  I love Rush but Rush's approach should not be
used in a news broadcast.  USA comes pretty close to doing that.

I hear CBS Radio News often on WGAN and in the three minutes that WGAN runs at
the top of the hour I do not hear an obvious bias.  Most radio network news is
a headline service and is pretty straight forward.  The nightly TV newscasts
are a whole different story...

I think the most balanced approach to news is the News Hour on PBS.  I am no
fan of PBS generally and I am philosophically opposed to the government
confiscating my money to run TV and radio stations but I have to give the News
Hour great credit for providing an unbiased newscast.  I would contribute to
their efforts if I was not already forced to through my tax dollars.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine