- --------------------------------------
Date: 7/14/98 6:30 PM
To: Brian Vita
From: Gary F
I checked with the ASCAP office in Framingham and they confirmed my suspicion -
restaurants, etc. that pipe in music (whether full broadcast or not) MUST pay a
fee
to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.  A friend of mine owns a number of DD shops (the coffee
folks) and he has to pay about $900 per year per shop - he got caught a few
years ago not
doing it and had to pay a arrearages and penalties in excess of $75,000!!

The radio station (or TV station) pays the right to broadcast the music, but
when another
business replays the audio in their business - they are using the composer's
work and must
compensate the composer for his/her work.

- -g.f.