RE: Rush and Dr Laura

	Dan Billings wrote (in part)

>>As for Rush's ratings, they are down, as are the ratings for poltical talk
shows across the board.  Political talk was in, now it is not.  The interest
in politics generally is very low.  Rush remains the top national political
talk radio show.  No other show comes close.  Rush may be past his peak, but
it is still a very successful show with a strong line up of stations.
People
in the WTSN listening area can still listen to Rush on WGAN and WHDH.<<

Interest in politics is down right now because the economy is (supposedly)
doing quite well, and when your wallet is full, politics (except for junkies
like myself) doesn't matter. This is why IMHO, Clinton gets away with so
much, I believe we are within a year of a big downturn in the economy, and
lo and behold, the political talk shows (left AND right) will regain
popularity. Look at Sports Radio, they hurt for calls when the local sports
teams do well, but the first sign of a downturn in a team, and the phones
light up. Same thing for political talk radio.

PS: Al Gore will be toast in 2000 for this very reason, and his de-facto
incumbency. (Bet he wishes the presidential election was in 1998!)

Paul Hopfgarten
Derry NH