Re: Echo

>'MEX did have a hollow sound. Perhaps those black and
>white, art deco studios of WMEX (when it was 1510AM)
>...they were located opposite Fenway Park near The
>Yankee Network-WNAC....created an echo on-air.  [...]

No, it wasn't just the studios - they had some additional electrical
help.  They had a spring reverb unit (built by Fisher, I believe) to
generate that echo.  I know this, because said unit was "rescued" by
some folks at WMBR (may have still been WTBS at the time) after the
1510 studios moved.  The story I heard (wasn't yet there myself at
the time) is that the gear in the old studios was going to be thrown
out, and somebody knew somebody, so the 88.1 folks were allowed to
rummage through, and the reverb unit was still there, and it would just
have been tossed out, so...

The rack unit in which the reverb was mounted was labelled "The Cave",
but I don't know if that label was added at 'MBR or if it went by that
name at 'MEX too.  I suppose Arnie would know...

Before anyone asks, I do not know if we still have it.  In the midst
of various renovations, rewirings, and old equipment clean-outs we've
had over the years, it could very well have been tossed. :-(  It is
certainly no longer in the active equipment racks, but it could still
be hiding in some dark corner of the shop.  At some point, if I remember,
I will poke around and see if I can find it...

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu