Echo

Could it have been those cavernous studios of
WCOP in Copley Square that created an echo effect?
Maybe Lou Dumont, now on the Cape, could "amplify"
for us.  ....Lou?

'MEX did have a hollow sound. Perhaps those black and
white, art deco studios of WMEX (when it was 1510AM)
...they were located opposite Fenway Park near The
Yankee Network-WNAC....created an echo on-air.  There
was only the one mic in a huge studio...must have been
a twenty foot ceiling...where the DJ "spun the platters"
(spun?) while the engineer, up above the studio, played
commercials and rode gain.  They swung the one mic on a
long boom to the other end of the curved table for the
newsman to use, and presumably the engineer faded the pot
down during the swing.

I can't remember who the DJ's were on 'MEX in 1949-1952.
The afternoon guy had a high school countdown segment
(like Bob Clayton's WHDH "Boston Ballroom") inviting students
to do a top record poll in their school and come to be
on the show to introduce the results.  Lotsa fun, I did
that with the lads from Commerce H.S. for both 'HDH and
'MEX....hello Sal!  By the way, anybody else reading this
who is a 1952 graduate of Commerce H.S. Boston?

In Chicago, WJJD always had a big echo effect on the air
in the 50's to distinguish itself on the dial.  I remember
they used it on both voice and perhaps music...but NOT on
the aspirin commercials for Plough, Inc. (of course). It
became very annoying - I think I still have an off-air,
taped example.
			And there you are.  =8^)   RBB