Re: WBZ-TV, "The Tradition Deteriorates"

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, PETER GEORGE, N1GGP wrote:

>      I have watched Channel 4 News for the past few nights and you could
> see on the faces of the talent that their heart was not in it.  Well, if

  I suspect that talent at WBZ fears a massive purge similar to what Uncle
Mel ordered at WCBS-TV (the entire weekday newsteam was fired after a 6PM
newscast)...

That being said..the simple fact is WBZ HAS to do something as like it or
not the "book" speaks. But I fear what they will do will be shocking.

Chitwood of course is best known for "blood and guts" WSVN in Miami and
WHDH only offered a tamer version of the format here as Sunbeam didn't
think Boston was ready for it.

I suspect that WBZ may try and emulate WPVI in Philadelphia where "ACTION
NEWS" has been a staple for years. The 2 cities are similar in market size
and with Channel 4 now holding the lottery contract they may go after the
blue collar viewer that Channel 7 seems to have owned forever. (note..go
to almost any bar in Boston at 6 PM and 90% of them will have Channel 7
on)..

We on the list can mourn what has happened at Channel 4 but the
beancounters at "Black Rock" in NY can only look at Judge Judy beating out
4 at 6 to scream that heads must roll.