Re: Garner Ted, etc.

Dan Billings first asked:
> Can the FCC require a station to turn over a list of donors?  I would think
> since a requirement would infringe on the station's and the donors' rights.
> Why would the FCC want or need a list of donors to a radio station?  What
> would be the purpose of such a regulation?

and Mike Thomas replied:
>How about to ensure that a non-commercial station remains just that,  "Non-
>commercial"  Lets say a station in the non-comm. band starts recieving sizable
>"donations" from auto dealerships, beer distributors or department stores all
>of a sudden?  The government would need such a regulation to enforce
>compliance.  Remember, the airwaves are still considered in the "public
>domain"--however convoluted the concept may be nowadays.

Except that non-comm stations (well, the larger ones at least) already do
accept such donations, and acknowledge them freely over the air.  Only it's
called underwriting, and it's quite legit.

Truth be told, I'm not sure the FCC has any requirement for a station
to hand over its list of donors.  The *IRS*, however, is another story.
Since contributions to non-profit entities are "tax deductible to the
extent allowed by law", the IRS very well could (and I believe does)
require non-profit organizations to keep such lists handy, in case they
ever want to challenge somebody's tax return.  That being said, neither
the FCC nor the IRS has ever asked us for such a list.

- -Shawn Mamros
Comptroller, WMBR Cambridge 88.1 FM
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu