Re: Garner Ted, etc.

In a message dated 98-06-28 17:27:09 EDT, Eric writes:

<< I remember Gene Scott from cable TV...wasn't he the one that ran afoul
 of the FCC for refusing to show them his list of donors? Didn't he lose
 a broadcast license over it?

 Eric >>

Can the FCC require a station to turn over a list of donors?  I would think
since a requirement would infringe on the station's and the donors' rights.
Why would the FCC want or need a list of donors to a radio station?  What
would be the purpose of such a regulation?

I remember there was a Supreme Court case where a state law (Alabama?) that
required non-profit groups to turn over membership lists to the states was
overturned because it infringed on the freedom of association.  The law was
passed to find out who belonged to the state chapter of the NAACP.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine